Monday, June 16, 2008

And the verdict is......(drumroll please!)

Okay, okay, so we don't really have a "verdict," but we have a bit more information. The nurse from the ENT's office called this morning and indicated that Dr. Reddy's (Becca's ENT) report indicates that there are changes in the inner ear structure consistent with a history of meningitis. No surgery needed.

To me, that is somewhat contradictory or uninformed. It didn't really provide me with too much information related to having a CI done. I happened to call the audiology side of the office later in the day and got a hold of Sarah. Sarah took a look at the information and actually read some info from the radiologist's report to me. It indicates her right ear is ossified as we thought. Her left ear (the good one) has some ossification in the basal turn and shows signs of mondini malformation - plus a bunch of stuff I couldn't get written down. Of course hearing the ossification in her left ear piqued our interest and we started to investigate a bit deeper. Sarah spoke to Dr. Disher briefly. He's the doctor who does the CIs here in town. He indicated he would have us go to Riley for a CI involving ossification in the ear (not what we really wanted to hear) if we would have a CI done. They are much more experienced with more complicated CIs down there. Pretty much the ones they do here are the rather routine ones.

He also indicated that ossification can progress and get worse over time. (Also not good news). I couldn't remember what the CT scan results of her left ear had been when we went to Riley, so Sarah searched Becca's imaged record of over 300 pages and found Dr. Miyamoto's notes. His report indicates the left cochlea was normal with the right one having signficant ossification causing the profound hearing loss.

Yikes! From our preliminary information now, it is our understanding that ossification of Becca's left ear has progressed which would be the most likely cause of the significant changes in her hearing ability. Potentially, it could continue to get worse. Sarah is working on getting information from Riley (the actual radiology reports and CT scans) and possibly getting Dr. Disher to consult with Dr. Miyamoto. We really want to get a good picture of the degree of change in her cochleas. It will probably take at least the remainder of this week to get information, if we can get them by Friday. I am grateful that Sarah is helping us out this way. I don't want to make extra trips to Indy just to find out they don't think she's a candidate for whatever reasons. This is definitely not a decision for us to take lightly.

Now for the other saga I promised to tell about...

Tomorrow night, Jacob is undergoing a sleep study. From 7:30 pm to 7:00 am Jacob and I will be at the sleep center. They will run EEG, EKG, oxygen saturation levels and video him while he sleeps. Why? you ask. Well, when Matt was out of town a few weeks ago I let the kids sleep with me. They slept. I didn't much. After a few hours of great sleep, Jacob began thrashing his arms and legs for 15-20 seconds every minute or two. This lasted for 30 - 40 minutes. He didn't really seem to be awake but was driving me crazy! After getting hit in the nose and chin, I'd about had it. The second night I made him start out in his bed, but after a few hours he awoke screaming so I brought him down with me. The same thing ended up happening.

Then we went to Matt's aunt & uncle's and the kids slept on the floor. Jacob was once again very still for the first few hours and then moved all over the place - nearly rolling under the bed and everything. On the way home, he slept for about 2 1/2 hours. At the 2 hour mark, in his carseat, he started moving his legs all over! It is crazy. Now, 2 - 3 times per night for 15-20 min. we hear thud, thud, thud, thud. Jacob just slams his leg down on the edge of his bed. Last night the thuds woke me up as did his whiny cries. After about 15-20 min I went upstairs thinking he'd be awake and I'd have to calm him down. However, he had no clue I was there. I moved his leg back onto the mattress and put a blanket down on the edge of the racecar bed. He didn't react at all like he felt me touching him! When I got back to bed, I heard more thuds - more muffled but still continued. It is absolutely crazy!

I had called the neurologist's office after we had returned from Ohio. I wondered if it was a withdrawal symptom since we're weaning him off his medicine. They went ahead and ordered this study, so here we are! I doubt I'll get much sleep :) I have to sleep in the same bed as Jacob!

So that's where we stand right now. I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again for all you who have been praying for us!

1 comment:

Mommie Daze said...

Wow! It's got to be difficult to process all that information, and try to make the best decision for Becca. I will keep all of you in my prayers, but especially you and Matt as you decide what to do next.