Wednesday, September 24, 2008

For Better or Worse

So that phrase may have been intended for weddings/marriages, but I'll take in to apply to Jacob's sleep study results.

I received the actual report today. It's not an apples to apples comparison as some of the reported data differs. I can't tell for sure whether overall it's better or worse. I know that several things have improved, such as his periodic limb movement counts and his oxygen sat level minimum. However, he went from 1 to 3 central sleep apneas where the brain doesn't tell you to breathe. He had 6 opstructive apneas this time (1 previously) which means a full stoppage of breathing, and he had 2 mixed apneas which means some of both. He had 126 hypopneas which are episodes of slowed breathing for greater than 10 sec. I think his average on those was around 15 seconds.

His overall average for the night was 19.3 episodes per hour. Less than the 31 per hour but greater than the 15 per hour which were reported for the previous test. So where do we go from here? I really don't know. My plan is to communicate with the ENT on Friday to get a picture of what we can expect. The suggested treatments on the report include CPAP machines, dental appliance, more surgery and more...we'll see where this goes!

No comments: