Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Foreign, Food, Fun, Fellowship, Fear, Faith....

There are probably a lot more words to describe my upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic. A little perspective on these selected words...
Foreign - This is my first trip outside the United States (other than a couple visits just over the border into Canada).
Food - I am freaking out about the food and what I'm going to eat. If you know me at all, you know I'm an extremely picky eater. There is a jar of JIF going with me!
Fun - It's going to be a lot of fun with 22 other people!
Fellowship - In a large church such as ours, it's sometimes difficult to get to know other people. This trip is providing a great opportunity to nurture relationships and to fellowship with believers in the D.R.
Fear - I'm slightly afraid of flying and afraid of leaving my family behind (Matt and the kids are staying home). I'm also fearing the unknown of what will happen on the trip.
Faith - I believe that God has put this trip together and is orchestrating all the details. Too many "coincidences" have already happened to make this be anything other than a God-thing. God can take away all my fears and turn them into great testimonies to his direction in my life.

So for a few details... I'm going with a group from our church, Pathway Community. We're going July 8 - 15 and doing medical & hearing clinics, construction work and children's ministry. I'm extremely excited about the opportunity to help with the hearing clinic! Becca's audiologist is going with us. I will be helping her out with the screenings. We have 150 hearing aids that have been donated along with all the supplies. We'll have to make the earmolds on site which will be a new thing for her.

We're in the process of collecting a ton of medical supplies for the trip. For Childrens' Tylenol alone we need to take 600 bottles! It's quite an effort!

Please pray for us as we prepare for the trip and as we're gone. I'll try to post periodically about my thoughts and preparation for the trip!

Blessings!

1 comment:

Mommie Daze said...

I'll be praying for you. Sounds like an adventure!