Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Finally Some Good News

I should have posted last night, but I guess I just forgot about the blogging world for a night!

Becca has been trying out the new hearing aid for about a month or so now. Yesterday, I took her in to have her hearing tested with the new aid. We had to give her a few weeks to get used to it before we tested it.

I've often been shocked at the loud (hurting my ears!) noises that she can't hear. Thankfully, that's not the way it was last night. Tina (her audiologist) would look at me and say "she's never heard that before" as she tested various frequencies at different decibles. When Tina brought the audiogram into me to show me how she did, I was amazed! She is testing within the normal range at most frequencies and just outside of it on the other two!!!! She's gained between 10 & 15 decibles on the frequencies.

It's no wonder that Becca keeps telling us she likes this hearing aid so much! She can actually hear!

We did get information back from Riley Children's Hospital, but not what information we were asking for. They basically told us that there's ossification in her left cochlea. We knew that! We want to know if it has progressed since 3 1/2 years ago and whether they think there's a chance we'd run out of opportunity to do a CI with any benefit. They are wanting us to go down for a CI evaluation which is what we did 3 1/2 years ago. It was a 2-day thing. I don't want to go through it just for them to tell us again that she's getting more benefit from the hearing aid than she would from a CI. I know that. My concern is what our options will be for the future.

Thankfully, she is doing so well with her new aid! I'm going to try to call down and speak with Dr. Miyamoto's nurse myself tomorrow to see if she will guide me at all. It's just so frustrating. It's not like Riley is 10 minutes away. It would take over 2 hours to get down there.

Until later....

2 comments:

Kevin Flick said...

Glad to hear your good news. I just got all caught up on Jacob. You guys have been through alot! I hope he is doing well now. And yes, that was the Ft. Wayne zoo that we were at. I really liked it.

Julie said...

Woohoo for Becca -- that's awesome that the new hearing aid is working so much better. I hope you hear from Riley (regarding the needed info) soon.