Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nearly another Double Date post!

I started out yesterday setting a Double Date appointment down at Riley. Shortly after, I received an email with more information from the FW office. To make a long story short (hopefully) we cancelled the appointments in Riley and have determined not to pursue the cochlear implant option at this time. Reasons for this include the ever expanding technology for CIs - especially related to ossification; they can't really determine the degree of ossification until they get in there during surgery, thus they can't tell how much it has progressed; and she is doing so well with the new hearing aid they're 99% likely to tell us that she's doing too well for a CI right now.

I'm completely at ease with the decision. I'm sure at the point we need to consider doing something more, our options technology-wise will be that much greater! We're excited for her to continue to experience better hearing with this hearing aid :) The only problem with it is how fast we are going through batteries! One battery lasts less than a week now (I think the last one was 3 or 4 days!) We used to get 3-4 weeks out of them.

One fun thing I did with Becca yesterday was to take her to Putt-Putt for the first time. She had a great time and got a legitimate 2 on the first hole! Most of the rest of the holes were not legitimate as she scooted the ball around and picked it up to place it near the hole. I think her final score was a 73 or 78 (capping each hole at 5!) Of course, she thinks high score wins. We played a few games inside and used the tickets earned to get a couple prizes. She even got stuff for Jacob!
This is a picture of Becca just before her first hole.
Believe it or not, Becca got the ball this close to the hole on her first shot. Hence, the reason she was able to get a 2! I thought I might not win this round!
Becca was so excited to get the ball out of the hole and move on to the next one. I did manage to get her to pause for a few pictures, though.
I have proof she cheated! Here she had just picked up the ball to move it closer to the hole.

1 comment:

WriteonLiz said...

Hi - this is Liz Thompson, friend and neighbor of Carol and Jim Rorick. I have sent comments via Carol to you about your CI comments.

Your daughter is adorable! I'm so glad to finally see a photo of her!

I, too, wore hearing aids for years before my CI in 2002. The audiologists told me that my batteries only lasted 3-4 days because I wore them ALL day - first thing in and last thing out. :) I was told most HA wearers take them in and out. I did not.

Feel free to email me at LizT@columbus.rr.com or check my website at www.daybydaybook.com.